We have really been seeing a lot of panhandlers around town lately. There are even regulars at certain places that we frequent. About a year ago she asked about one downtown. We ended up making up a couple of ziploc "blessing" bags to keep in our car. They have things like crackers, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc in them. I want to help people and show Lila compassion for others but I don't feel comfortable giving them cash that they might use for drugs or alcohol. The bags are something that we can give to people to help them out.
Since that time Lila hasn't said anything about the panhandlers we've seen, until yesterday that is. There was a lady on the corner where there is usually a man. I think that's what got Lila's attention, that it was a woman. She said, "Mommy, there's a girl over there with a sign!" I said I saw her. She said, "What is she doing?" I told her that she was asking for people to give her money because she doesn't have enough.
I was expecting her sweet, compassionate side to come out and for her to ask to give her some money. Mmm, not so much. Instead, she declared, "We should do that!" Huh? I said no, we have enough money to pay for the things we need. Lila said, "Well, when I'm a grown up that's what I'm going to do!"
So there you have it. Lila aspires to be a panhandler when she grows up. We're so proud.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment